Sunday, June 1, 2014

Happy Birthday!

Today I turned the big 2-5.  I've had several friends have what they call a "quarter-life" crisis with this birthday and come up with things like "25 things to accomplish this year," etc.  Truth  be told, I have everything I could ever hope for.  The major boxes are checked-college degree, house, marriage, baby. More than that, my life is full of meaning.  I feel fulfilled spiritually.  I love my adorable son.  I have a wonderful, supportive family. I love my husband, and he loves me.

I do, however, like to use birthdays as an opportunity to think back on my previous year and make goals.  This year, one particular incident sticks out in my mind.  A few months ago, I was shopping at the Dollar Store for some party decorations. The woman in front of me was buying some groceries. Her son found a little toy that he wanted and asked her if he could get it.  She carefully counted out a few dollar bills and the number of items in the cart. "I get paid next week and we can come back."  The boy disappointingly set the toy down. The woman's total came to $13. Something inside told me to offer to pay for her. I ignored the feeling and didn't because I felt awkward. I thought that maybe I would offend her or something, I don't know. I think about that woman spending her last bit of money on food from the dollar store.  Maybe something as small as $13 could have made a huge difference to her.  So my goal this year is to not let my own pride get in the way of doing the right thing. I'd like to do one nice thing for someone else every day. One act of kindness each day is the perfect prophylaxis for any "life crisis."

As for today, well, Matt treated me right. Check out this chocolate strawberry torte he made all by himself. Delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment