Wednesday, May 9, 2012

50 Shades of Grey

In case you're worried, this post, unlike the book (or so I've heard), is totally rated G :)

This week we decided to paint our living room.  Matt didn't like the yellow that was on the walls when we moved in.  I didn't mind it so much, but it was a terrible paint job-- drips on the baseboards and smudges on the ceiling.  I wanted to do it a light grey to match the chairs that I reupholstered.  Easier said than done.  Who knew that there are so many different kinds of grey?  We bought a sample, it was too light.  The one a shade darker was too dark.  The next one was too green.  There's blue-grey and brow-grey.  I just wanted regular grey.  So it wasn't quite 50, but it took us 6 tries to find the right one.
Check it out:




Here are the chairs that started it all.  We got them for free, so I figured it was worth a shot to try to redo them. These were my first upholstery attempt and I was surprised at how easy they were to do.

Before

Matt was my muscle and removed all the old staples

I took apart the fabric and used it as a pattern to cut out the new ones.

I sewed it up, painted the arms, and ta-da!


After I re-did the chairs, I bought coordinating fabric and made the valances and pillows.



And here's the final result:

Still want to get a rug and something for the walls, but that'll be another day.  In the mean time I'm glad to finally be done with painting for a while!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your living room looks amazing! I love the mustard and gray together. You guys are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you! It all started with that nightstand...

    ReplyDelete